Re: Moving kernel_entry to LOADADDR

To: Gerald Champagne <gerald.champagne@esstech.com>
Subject: Re: Moving kernel_entry to LOADADDR
From: Geoffrey Espin <espin@idiom.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 18:13:22 -0700
Cc: "linux-mips@oss.sgi.com" <linux-mips@oss.sgi.com>
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Gerald,

> to hard-code a jump to kernel_entry in my boot loader.  I got tired
> of having kernel_entry moving around, so I just moved it to the top
> of head.S, just afte the ".fill 0x280".  That places kernel_entry at
> the same place every time.  It's always at LOADADDR+0x280.

Don't know about all .fill & exception vecs... the trick I use in
my (vr)boot loader...

KERNEL_ENTRY=$(shell awk '/kernel_entry/{print "0x" $$1}'
$(LINUX_SRC)/System.map)
CFLAGS+=-DKERNEL_ENTRY=$(KERNEL_ENTRY)

And compile boot.S or whatever your bootloader is.

But a fixed, well-known offset can't be a bad thing either.

Geoff
--
Geoffrey Espin espin@idiom.com