Re: link error with ramdisk file

To: Gerald Champagne <gerald.champagne@esstech.com>
Subject: Re: link error with ramdisk file
From: Geoffrey Espin <espin@idiom.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 18:50:29 -0700
Cc: "linux-mips@oss.sgi.com" <linux-mips@oss.sgi.com>
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Gerald,

> I'm getting the following error when creating a ramdisk on a big endian
> system:
> $ mips-linux-ld -T ld.script -b binary -o ramdisk.o ramdisk.gz
> mips-linux-ld: ramdisk.gz: compiled for a little endian system and target is
> big
> endian
> File in wrong format: failed to merge target specific data of file ramdisk.gz

I recently had this mini-nightmare, too.  I don't recall exactly
what I did to eliminate it.  I'm now using:

    linux/arch/mips/philips/nino/ld.script

and my home-built linker:            :-)

    % mipsel-linux-ld -v
    GNU ld version 2.11.90 (with BFD 2.11.90)

I can't recall whether it was a bad linker, or wrong script, or something else.

What linker and script are you using?

At one stage I used:

    EXTRA_LDFLAGS = --no-warn-mismatch

as a work-around.  But now I've successfully disabled this.

Geoff
--
Geoffrey Espin espin@idiom.com