link error with ramdisk file

To: "" <>
Subject: link error with ramdisk file
From: Gerald Champagne <>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 20:27:27 -0500
I'm getting the following error when creating a ramdisk on a big endian system:

$ mips-linux-ld -T ld.script -b binary -o ramdisk.o ramdisk.gz
mips-linux-ld: ramdisk.gz: compiled for a little endian system and target is big endian
File in wrong format: failed to merge target specific data of file ramdisk.gz

I get the same error regardless of what I use for the input file. I don't understand how this linker error can occur when the input file format is binary.
Isn't the linker just ignoring the contents of the input file with the
"-b binary" option?