Re: Origin 200

Subject: Re: Origin 200
From: Eugenio Diaz <>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2001 00:53:45 -0700 (PDT)
--- Brian <> wrote:
> Its the rackmount version..............I will search for some
> benchmarks to see how this system ranks compared to some
> PIII and other systems.
> Are there any graphics options available for these, or just console?
> I realize the origin is more of a "server", used for serving files
> and web pages, than a workstation.

I used to work for an SGI VAR, and we sold expensive (he, he) but SGI approved
third party PCI video cards; I don't remember what manufacturer tough. I
remember one particular customer (an NT shop) who was not comfortable with
head-less servers, and required us to put a head on it :-)

However, I think that if Linux is currently handling the PCI Bus (I think it's
a 64-bit) on that architecture, you can use any PCI video card supported by
Linux ... am I right?

Eugenio Diaz, BSEE/BSCE
Linux Engineer