Re: linker problem: relocation truncated to fit

To: linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Subject: Re: linker problem: relocation truncated to fit
From: Petter Reinholdtsen <pere@hungry.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2001 00:07:19 +0200
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
[Wilbern Cobb]
> This is a `feature' of the MIPS toolchain. Global and static items <= n
> bytes are placed into the small data or small bss sections instead of
> the normal data or bss sections as an optimization. Excess items would
> cause these linker errors.
>
> Pass the compiler the -Gn flag (default is 8 bytes), ie. -G4 should work
> for most purposes.

I tried -G4, -G2 and -G1 without any luck.  Even with -G1 there are still
more than 9300 relocation messages.  (Do I need to compile all the object
files again, by the way?  I've only tried to relink -- it takes 12 hours
to compile :-( ))

Unfortunately, my problem is with is a prorietary software product
(Opera web browser), so I can not send you any source or object files.
:-(