How can I determine which files are used?

Subject: How can I determine which files are used?
From: Gerald Champagne <>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 16:43:19 -0500
Is there a recommended method of determining which files in the
Linux source tree are used with a given .config file?  I've already
removed the obvious things like unused entries in the arch directory
and a couple of driver directories, but is there a way to generate a
list of only the files that are used?

I know I've read discussions about someday splitting up the source code
into smaller blocks, but can someone point me towards information on how
to prune the existing source tree?