Re: segfault

Subject: Re: segfault
From: Jim Paris <>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 14:59:47 -0400
> I'm trying to get Linux working on my handheld PC (the Sharp Tripad,
> very similar to the Vadem Clio), but I'm having userland problems.
> Some binaries compile and run fine, while others give a segfault right
> away.

Aha!  I think I've finally found the problem, thanks to a lightbulb
that blinked on after reading Kjeld's mail about optimization
problems.  I compile everything with -O3 (it's in my environment) and
that apparently resulted in broken binaries.  I rebuilt binutils, gcc,
glibc, and all of my test binaries with -O1.. and everything appears
to work perfectly.

(after wrestling with this for weeks on end, I feel pretty stupid that
it turned out to be something so simple, but I'm also quite elated
that it works)

Next step: conquer the world!  (or, at least, set up user-space stuff)