Re: Update for RedHat 7.1

To: Carsten Langgaard <carstenl@mips.com>
Subject: Re: Update for RedHat 7.1
From: "H . J . Lu" <hjl@lucon.org>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 08:14:50 -0700
Cc: linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
On Thu, Sep 13, 2001 at 05:06:53PM +0200, Carsten Langgaard wrote:
> I now tried to installing the bigendian RedHat7.1 RPMs and I noticed the
> following.
>
> /etc/localtime is lacking in glibc-2.2.4-11.2.mips.rpm (but it's contain
> in the little endian version).
> All the timezone information is lacking under /usr/share/zoneinfo in
> glibc-common-2.2.4-11.2 (but it's in the little endian version).

Everything is cross compiled. Since x86 is little endian, I don't
cross compile big endian data files, like locale and timezone. You
can rebuild glibc natively to get all those data files.

> I can't changes the root password, I get the following:
> # passwd root
> Changing password for user root
> New UNIX password:
> /usr/lib/cracklib_dict: magic mismatch
> PWOpen: Success

It may be the endian issue. Please recompile cracklib natively and let
me know if it fixes the problem for you.

H.J.