recent kernel probs

To: linux-mips <linux-mips@oss.sgi.com>
Subject: recent kernel probs
From: George Gensure <werkt@csh.rit.edu>
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2001 02:44:21 -0400
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
I've been keeping busy trying to keep a working kernel for a set of lab machines (indy r5ks) running linux, and as of a couple of days ago, I haven't been able to build a kernel that does not simply blank the screen and draw a non-blinking cursor where the mouse had been in the prom. I can boot from the stock vmlinux-2.4.3.ecoff kernel, and i can write that kernel to the volume header to boot locally. However, when I try to rebuild and boot a later kernel, with the X-ish support that I need, it errors as above. It feels as if I've done something to the system to deserve this kind of punishment. Can anyone help?

Thanks
George
werkt@csh.rit.edu