shared memory

To: linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Subject: shared memory
From: Tom Appermont <tea@sonycom.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 19:17:25 +0200
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Howdy,

Attached are two files (shmm.c and test.c). The first is a simple
implementation of a kernel module that allocates RAM for sharing
memory with a user space application. The second file implements
a simple test to verify that the shared buffer behaves as
expected, by writing something in shared memory and requesting
the module to check if what was written by the application is
also visible in kernel space.

While this works as expected on PC, it does not at all work as
expected on my mips platform (R5231): What is written in user
space is not immediately visible in kernel space. This is with
very recent kernel sources (2.4.8) but the same problem exists
with an older (2.4.5) kernel.

There have been a few mails about mmap() problems in the last
couple of months, but with very little interesting response. Is
this a known problem or am I stupidly overlooking something?

Greetz,

Tom