RE: bus error by write transaction (RE: [patch] linux 2.4.5: Make __dbe_

To: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <>
Subject: RE: bus error by write transaction (RE: [patch] linux 2.4.5: Make __dbe_table available to modules)
From: "Hiroo Hayashi" <>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 11:49:15 -0500
Cc: <>, <>

> > Note that most MIPS documents use word 'load' and 'store' for instruction,
> > and 'read' and 'write' for bus transaction.  You have to distinguish them.
>  Don't I?

I understood that (singular) you distinguish them.
I thought someone misunderstood in this thread.

> > (Here I'm ignoring I/O access to make the point clear.)
>  How do you define an I/O access for MIPS?
uncached access.  Off cource there can be exception.

> > The data on a write bus transaction may be a data modified by a store
> > instruction which was issued some years ago :-)  What the OS can do?
>  Report it and panic.

I agree with you.

>   The problem with bus errors on MIPS is that one
> can't distinguish between errors on reads and writes.

But I did not understand that there is MIPS CPU which cause Bus Error Exception
as a result of  a bus error for a write bus transaction or a read bus
which caused by cache miss for a store instruction.  It's messy...