Re: Question on porting Linux...

Subject: Re: Question on porting Linux...
From: Jun Sun <>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 10:26:39 -0700
Shuanglin Wang wrote:
> Hi all,
> I'm working on porting Linux to a third-part board. I don't know where to
> start.
> Can anyone give me some tips?
> By the way, the board doesn't have PCI bus, Interrupt controller, and RTC.  Do
> you think it is possible to port Linux to it?  And how difficult will it be?
> A lot of thanks,

Porting Linux/MIPS generally involves three tasks:

1. CPU support

If your CPU is already supported, then your task is as easy as include the
CONFIG_CPU_XXXX in your config file.

2. board support

This involves several subtasks:

a) hook your board/machines to the system.  Check include/asm/bootinfo.h,

b) prom_init().

c) board setup code (xxx_setup()): fix hardware, set Linux variables, etc

d) interrupt dispatching, time service

e) others

Look under various arch/mips subdirectories.

3) driver code

Serial, ether, etc.

Good luck.