Re: Where is the first entry point for linux-mips boot?

To: machael thailer <dony.he@huawei.com>
Subject: Re: Where is the first entry point for linux-mips boot?
From: Ralf Baechle <ralf@oss.sgi.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 05:26:35 +0200
Cc: linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
On Fri, Aug 17, 2001 at 11:11:21AM +0800, machael thailer wrote:

> After my custom board  finished initializations, It should load "linux
> kernel" into RAM.
> The question is :  Is this a compressed "linux kernel" just like vmlinux.gz
> of X86 that I should load? Or is it "/usr/src/linux/vmlinux" that is not
> compressed that I should load?

The standard MIPS kernel doesn't support compressed kernels on MIPS.

> And what RAM address should it loaded at?  Since it is linked at
> 0x80200000,Should I load there or at somewhere else?

Obviously to the address it's linked for.  You can adjust that address
as you need.  With compressed kernels it may be necessary to choose a
different address however so the decompressed kernel doesn't overwrite
the compressed kernel during compression.