Re: [patch] linux 2.4.5: Export mips_machtype

To: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <macro@ds2.pg.gda.pl>
Subject: Re: [patch] linux 2.4.5: Export mips_machtype
From: Keith M Wesolowski <wesolows@foobazco.org>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 10:44:35 -0700
Cc: "Gleb O. Raiko" <raiko@niisi.msk.ru>, Ralf Baechle <ralf@oss.sgi.com>, Harald Koerfgen <hkoerfg@web.de>, linux-mips@fnet.fr, linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
On Tue, Aug 14, 2001 at 07:43:23PM +0200, Maciej W. Rozycki wrote:

>  How do you set up mips_machtype on your system in the first place?  At
> kernel_entry the code does not know what machine it's running on anyway,
> so it has to set mips_machtype based on a detection algorithm.

Of course.  I published a patch and some documentation a long time ago
for doing just this.  I don't think anyone ever even read any of it; I
received no comments.  In any case it's currently used in my tree for
O2 and although I know it could be better it seems to work rather
well.

--
Keith M Wesolowski <wesolows@foobazco.org> http://foobazco.org/~wesolows
------(( Project Foobazco Coordinator and Network Administrator ))------