Re: [patch] linux 2.4.5: Export mips_machtype

To: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <macro@ds2.pg.gda.pl>
Subject: Re: [patch] linux 2.4.5: Export mips_machtype
From: "Gleb O. Raiko" <raiko@niisi.msk.ru>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 22:27:01 +0400
Cc: Ralf Baechle <ralf@oss.sgi.com>, Harald Koerfgen <hkoerfg@web.de>, linux-mips@fnet.fr, linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com

"Maciej W. Rozycki" wrote:

> On Mon, 13 Aug 2001, Ralf Baechle wrote:
>
> > >  The following patch exports mips_machtype to modules.  Please apply.
> >
> > Ok - but I'd like to burry the whole mips_machtype mechanism in 2.5.  To
> > messy and requires a central authority to allocate machine types.  What
> > do you think?
>
>  No idea at the moment.  For DECs things are pretty easy.  The firmware
> returns a unique system ID for each different kind of hardware.  It can be
> used instead (actually mips_machtype is initialized bazed on what firmware
> reports).  The ID is mostly useful for system-specific stuff, e.g. onboard
> devices that cannot be identified or probed in another way.
>
>  Note that for PCI-based systems, there is usually no problem -- PCI IDs
> can be used instead in most cases.

How? In fact, I've got two different boards with the same Ethernet chip.
Moreover, mach type shall be known as early as possible, early than pci
init for sure. Just imagine, I need a way to identify PCI controller by
mach type, so I need to scan pci busses for specific ID. Boom. :-) Did I
miss something in your proposal?

BTW, in my Baget case, I just need a number for mach type. I can ask to
change my prom in worst case.

Regards,
Gleb.