Re: [patch] linux 2.4.5: Make __dbe_table available to modules

To: Ralf Baechle <>
Subject: Re: [patch] linux 2.4.5: Make __dbe_table available to modules
From: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 18:24:19 +0200 (MET DST)
Cc: Harald Koerfgen <>, Keith Owens <>,,
On Mon, 13 Aug 2001, Ralf Baechle wrote:

> Looks fine at the first view.  I'll apply it but duplicate it for mips64
> also.

 Please wait for a while, until I resolve modutils interoperability as
pointed out by Keith.

> The whole mechanism has it's problems though.  On the Origin certain
> accesses like an attempt to write to a non-existant serial interface
> take down the machine though.  I don't have an explanation nor did Kanoj
> seem to.

 The MIPS architecture defines the bus error exception event for data
reads and instruction fetches only.  Writes are asynchronous so errors on
them cannot be reported exactly -- some MIPS documentation recommends
using a general-purpose interrupt line for such events.

 Both bus error exceptions and error interrupts are system-specific and
might not work unless designed to.  The Origin might be an example.  Does
it crash for reads/fetches from the affected address space, either?