Re: Problem with PMAD-AA / DECStation 5000/200

To: Jan-Benedict Glaw <jbglaw@lug-owl.de>
Subject: Re: Problem with PMAD-AA / DECStation 5000/200
From: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <macro@ds2.pg.gda.pl>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 11:11:58 +0200 (MET DST)
Cc: linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
On Thu, 9 Aug 2001, Jan-Benedict Glaw wrote:

> I volunteer to provide all PROMs I can find @home. However, someone
> has to read them as I don't have an EPROM burner:-(

 I'm not sure how exactly the ROMs are wired (they're usually 8-bit);
hopefully in a "natural" way.  You can read most of ROMs under Linux via
mmap()ping /dev/mem -- parts of ROMs may not be directly available to the
host CPU if they contain option's CPU firmware.  The MB ROM is remapped
(byte-merged) by the chipset so that it can be read in 32-bit quantities
as parts of it get executed directly (the I/O ASIC permits switching the
byte merging off).  Option ROMs are not remapped as they always get copied
to the system RAM before execution.  Their organization can be read from
their headers as specified by the TURBOchannel firmware specification.