Re: PATCH: Clean up Linux/mips.

To: "H . J . Lu" <hjl@lucon.org>
Subject: Re: PATCH: Clean up Linux/mips.
From: Mark Mitchell <mark@codesourcery.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2001 08:52:58 -0700
Cc: Eric Christopher <echristo@redhat.com>, "gcc-patches@gcc.gnu.org" <gcc-patches@gcc.gnu.org>, "linux-mips@oss.sgi.com" <linux-mips@oss.sgi.com>
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
I am trying to get gcc 3.x to work correctly on Linux/mips.

Sorry, that didn't answer my question either.

You need to explain what problem your patch solves, in detail, and how
it solves it, so that even I, not as smart as you, can understand it.

I had an excellent professor in college who gave a lecture on the first
day of every class to introduce his perspective.  He said that many
students think that their job is to learn as much as possible, but
that's not it at all.  Instead, he pointed out, the job of a student is
to make it as easy as possible for the grader to give them an `A'.  That
means don't write in red pencil on both sides of a piece of paper
torn from a spiral bound notebook -- LaTeX it.  Don't just write code
that works; include comments that make it obvious it works.  Don't skip
10 obvious steps in the proof; the grader may not be as smart as you.

I cannot match the flair with which the original lecture was delivered,
but that was the idea.

Here, I am the grader.