Re: HELP can't boot

To: linux-mips <linux-mips@oss.sgi.com>
Subject: Re: HELP can't boot
From: Guido Guenther <guido.guenther@gmx.net>
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2001 16:58:25 +0200
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
On Wed, Aug 08, 2001 at 10:46:24AM -0400, Ian wrote:
> > You simply need to recreate a sgi partition table which is no problem
> > with a current fdisk. That's all you need  to make linux bootable from
> > harddisk.
>
> Right.  But how to I get to that point?  There is NO bootloader?  I have
> no Irix 6.x media available to restore those partitions.
E.g. use the base system at:
 ftp://ftp.uni-mainz.de/pub/Linux/debian-local/mips/
with a kernel from:
 ftp://ftp.rfc822.org/pub/local/debian-mips/kernel
or the debian "bootdisks" consisting of a small nfs-root and kernel at:
 http://honk.physik.uni-konstanz.de/linux-mips/debian/bootdisks/
these contain fdisk & dvhtool, so hopefully everything to get your
disk "back into shape".
 -- Guido