Re: HELP can't boot

To: Ian <ian@WPI.EDU>
Subject: Re: HELP can't boot
From: Guido Guenther <guido.guenther@gmx.net>
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2001 15:42:46 +0200
Cc: Soeren Laursen <soeren.laursen@scrooge.dk>, linux-mips <linux-mips@oss.sgi.com>
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
On Wed, Aug 08, 2001 at 08:59:15AM -0400, Ian wrote:
> I was in the middle of a HardHat install, and fdisk was able to partition
> the disks.  The problem is that I deleted all of the partitions on the
> original disk, including sda9 and sda11, which store the SGI sash
> bootloader and associated files.  Without the bootloader, the system is
> inoperable.  I did not realize that those partitions contained it at that
> time.
You simply need to recreate a sgi partition table which is no problem
with a current fdisk. That's all you need  to make linux bootable from
harddisk.
This is kind of off-topic but I'd recommend switching to s.th. more
recent than hardhat like debian or the rpms by H.J Lu on oss. Hardhat is
way out of date.
 -- Guido