Re: Changing WCHAR_TYPE from "long int" to "int"?

To: Eric Christopher <>
Subject: Re: Changing WCHAR_TYPE from "long int" to "int"?
From: "H . J . Lu" <>
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2001 08:29:04 -0700
Cc: Thiemo Seufer <>,,, GNU C Library <>
On Mon, Aug 06, 2001 at 03:41:28PM +0100, Eric Christopher wrote:
> > I don't know if this is an good idea. BITS_PER_WORD is 64bit for mips64,
> > this might be wrong for wchar_t. At least the code for irix6 defines
> > WCHAR_TYPE_SIZE == 32.
> >
> Hrm.  You might be right.  I was thinking that would be correct though.
> AFAICT from reading the c++ standard, it doesn't care about the size of
> wchar_t as long as it is large enough to hold the values from the
> supported locales.
> Perhaps some c++ expert could help with this a bit?  Benjamin is there a
> problem if wchar_t becomes 64-bits?

Yes. Gcc won't even compile since cpp uses MAX_WCHAR_TYPE_SIZE, which
is defined as WCHAR_TYPE_SIZE and has be to a constant. But mips'
BITS_PER_WORD is not avaiable for cpp. Besides, we use 32bit wchar_t
on most of the 64bit Linux targets. Why do we want to use 64 for
mips64? Check out WCHAR_TYPE_SIZE on ia64 and alpha, which are all
64bit Linux targets.