Re: Changing WCHAR_TYPE from "long int" to "int"?

To: Thiemo Seufer <ica2_ts@csv.ica.uni-stuttgart.de>
Subject: Re: Changing WCHAR_TYPE from "long int" to "int"?
From: Eric Christopher <echristo@redhat.com>
Date: 06 Aug 2001 15:41:28 +0100
Cc: "H . J . Lu" <hjl@lucon.org>, gcc@gcc.gnu.org, linux-mips@oss.sgi.com, GNU C Library <libc-alpha@sourceware.cygnus.com>
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
> I don't know if this is an good idea. BITS_PER_WORD is 64bit for mips64,
> this might be wrong for wchar_t. At least the code for irix6 defines
> WCHAR_TYPE_SIZE == 32.

Hrm.  You might be right.  I was thinking that would be correct though.
AFAICT from reading the c++ standard, it doesn't care about the size of
wchar_t as long as it is large enough to hold the values from the
supported locales.

Perhaps some c++ expert could help with this a bit?  Benjamin is there a
problem if wchar_t becomes 64-bits?

-eric

--
Look out behind you!