Changing WCHAR_TYPE from "long int" to "int"?

To: Eric Christopher <echristo@redhat.com>
Subject: Changing WCHAR_TYPE from "long int" to "int"?
From: "H . J . Lu" <hjl@lucon.org>
Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2001 09:48:06 -0700
Cc: gcc@gcc.gnu.org, linux-mips@oss.sgi.com, GNU C Library <libc-alpha@sourceware.cygnus.com>
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
I am working with Eric to clean up the Linux/mips configuration in
gcc 3.x. I'd like to change WCHAR_TYPE from "long int" to "int". They
are the same on Linux/mips. There won't be any run-time problems. I am
wondering if there are any compatibility problems at the compile time
at the source and binary level. For one thing, __WCHAR_TYPE__ will be
changed from "long int" to "int". The only thing I can think of is
the C++ libraries. But gcc 3.x doesn't work on Linux/mips. The one
I am working on will be the first gcc 3.x for Linux/mips. So there
shouldn't be any problems. Am I right?

H.J.