Re: printk

To: "John D. Davis" <johnd@stanford.edu>
Subject: Re: printk
From: Pete Popov <ppopov@pacbell.net>
Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2001 14:22:20 -0700
Cc: SGI MIPS list <linux-mips@oss.sgi.com>, Debian MIPS list <debian-mips@lists.debian.org>
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
John D. Davis wrote:
Does anyone know off hand, the earlies point that I can use printk?

Well, you can use them from the very beginning, but you won't see the output until after serial console init (if you're using a serial console).

I added some printk statements to driver/char/console.c and the resulting
kernel hangs with only the logo showing and no text.  Is prom_printf
something that I should use instead. I put some printk statements in
tty_io.c and kernel/printk.c and those compiled kernels work.

I like using simple puts and put32 routines that print a string and a 32 bit number. These routines bang directly on the uart so you see the prints immediately, before printk works. Take a look at arch/mips/au1000/common/puts.c.

Pete