Re: [long] Lance on DS5k/200

To: Jan-Benedict Glaw <>
Subject: Re: [long] Lance on DS5k/200
From: Geert Uytterhoeven <>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 09:08:31 +0200 (MEST)
Cc: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <>, Dave Airlie <>, SGI MIPS list <>, Debian MIPS list <>,
On Tue, 31 Jul 2001, Jan-Benedict Glaw wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 30, 2001 at 10:06:45PM +0200, Maciej W. Rozycki wrote:
> >  How about merging it into official sources?  This way your work won't get
> > lost and others won't try to reinvent the wheel.
> Of course. I wouldn't even *try* to do sth other. In fact, I'm looking
> around for various specs of various implementations (as seen from
> the bus) of the LANCE chip to see if I could manage the job to
> unify them all together:
> Driver file                                 | Mentioned Chip
> ----------------------------------------------+--------------------

> ./drivers/net/a2065.c                         Am7990

When I wrote this one, I based it on ariadne.ce, but thanks to Jes Sørensen it
should look quite similar to sunlance now.

> ./drivers/net/ariadne.c                               Am79c960

The Ariadne is a bit special, because it byteswaps the data bus of the Am79c960
(PC-Net ISA, hence little endian) by hardware so the big endian m68k/PPC Amiga
doesn't have to swap packet data. But that does mean that non-packet data has
to be byteswapped.

> I really *hate* to see so many different implementations. That counts
> to about 21..25 pieces of code, always written for the same thing.

So this quote from my quote database is still valid ;-)

There are more Lance drivers than there are architectures
                                        -- Geert Uytterhoeven on linux-kernel

Geert Uytterhoeven ------------- Sony Software Development Center Europe (SDCE) ------------------- Sint-Stevens-Woluwestraat 55
Voice +32-2-7248626 Fax +32-2-7262686 ---------------- B-1130 Brussels, Belgium