Re: [long] Lance on DS5k/200

To: Jan-Benedict Glaw <jbglaw@lug-owl.de>
Subject: Re: [long] Lance on DS5k/200
From: Geert Uytterhoeven <Geert.Uytterhoeven@sonycom.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 09:08:31 +0200 (MEST)
Cc: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <macro@ds2.pg.gda.pl>, Dave Airlie <airlied@csn.ul.ie>, SGI MIPS list <linux-mips@oss.sgi.com>, Debian MIPS list <debian-mips@lists.debian.org>, engel@unix-ag.org
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
On Tue, 31 Jul 2001, Jan-Benedict Glaw wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 30, 2001 at 10:06:45PM +0200, Maciej W. Rozycki wrote:
> >  How about merging it into official sources?  This way your work won't get
> > lost and others won't try to reinvent the wheel.
>
> Of course. I wouldn't even *try* to do sth other. In fact, I'm looking
> around for various specs of various implementations (as seen from
> the bus) of the LANCE chip to see if I could manage the job to
> unify them all together:
>
> Driver file                                 | Mentioned Chip
> ----------------------------------------------+--------------------

    [...]

> ./drivers/net/a2065.c                         Am7990

When I wrote this one, I based it on ariadne.ce, but thanks to Jes Sørensen it
should look quite similar to sunlance now.

> ./drivers/net/ariadne.c                               Am79c960

The Ariadne is a bit special, because it byteswaps the data bus of the Am79c960
(PC-Net ISA, hence little endian) by hardware so the big endian m68k/PPC Amiga
doesn't have to swap packet data. But that does mean that non-packet data has
to be byteswapped.

    [...]

> I really *hate* to see so many different implementations. That counts
> to about 21..25 pieces of code, always written for the same thing.

So this quote from my quote database is still valid ;-)

<QUOTE>
There are more Lance drivers than there are architectures
                                        -- Geert Uytterhoeven on linux-kernel
</QUOTE>

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                                                Geert