Re: AW: GCC and Modules

To: Ian Soanes <>
Subject: Re: AW: GCC and Modules
From: Ralf Baechle <>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 19:00:46 +0200
On Wed, Jul 25, 2001 at 03:02:39PM +0100, Ian Soanes wrote:

> This may be a little out of date, but compiling with the module with
> -mlong-calls worked for me when I had similar problems loading modules a
> while back. Relinking the module with 'ld -r -o new_mod.o orig_mod.o'
> was useful too worked around some 'exceeds local_symtab_size'
> messages.

The local_symtab_size symtab is caused by the fine differences between
IRIX ELF and ABI ELF.  More recent binutils versions switched to ABI ELF
as the default.

Not using -mlong-calls results in ``Relocation overflow'' messages.  That's
not the case here, so this option probably was used.

Error messages about _gp_disp proof that the module contains PIC code that
is has not been built using -mno-abicalls -fno-pic.