Re: ATI Victoria on Malta

To: Andrew Thornton <andrew.thornton@insignia.com>
Subject: Re: ATI Victoria on Malta
From: Carsten Langgaard <carstenl@mips.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 09:44:27 +0200
Cc: Geert Uytterhoeven <Geert.Uytterhoeven@sonycom.com>, James Simmons <jsimmons@transvirtual.com>, Linux-MIPS <linux-mips@oss.sgi.com>
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Andrew Thornton wrote:

> Geert,
>
> >> I guess this is not surprising because the Malta firmware isn't a PC
> BIOS.
> >
> >If the RAGE XL is the officially supported video board for the Malta, I
> >wouldn't have been surprised if its firmware would have contained code to
> >initialize the RAGE XL. But unfortunately this doesn't seem to be the case.
>
> I don't know if YAMON supports anything other than a serial terminal for its
> console.

YAMON doesn't initialize the RAGE XL as it is a PCI plug-in card.
The video driver in the 'supported' OS initialize the card.

> >Next question: is there sample code available (e.g. with the `supported' OS
> for
> >the Malta) to initialize the RAGE XL?
>
> It has been pointed out to me that there is some source code, but this
> originates from a non-suitable source for use in Linux. Need I say more?

I'm afraid we can't provide you with the sources, you need to contact the
OS vendor yourself.

--
_    _ ____  ___   Carsten Langgaard   Mailto:carstenl@mips.com
|\  /|||___)(___   MIPS Denmark        Direct: +45 4486 5527
| \/ |||    ____)  Lautrupvang 4B      Switch: +45 4486 5555
  TECHNOLOGIES     2750 Ballerup       Fax...: +45 4486 5556
                   Denmark             http://www.mips.com