Re: ATI Victoria on Malta

To: Andrew Thornton <andrew.thornton@insignia.com>
Subject: Re: ATI Victoria on Malta
From: Geert Uytterhoeven <Geert.Uytterhoeven@sonycom.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 17:55:34 +0200 (MEST)
Cc: James Simmons <jsimmons@transvirtual.com>, Linux-MIPS <linux-mips@oss.sgi.com>
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
On Tue, 24 Jul 2001, Andrew Thornton wrote:
> >Using `atydebug' (from tools in CVS module atyfb at
> >http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/linux-fbdev/), the PLL debug values
> mean:
> >
> >| tux$ ./atydebug ac ac 24 df f6 04 00 fd 8e 9e 65 05 00 00 00 00
> >| PLL rate = 417.901480 MHz (guessed)
> >| bad MCLK post divider 5
> >| VCLK0 = 414.623821 MHz
> >| VCLK1 = 232.713765 MHz
> >| VCLK2 = 86.311678 MHz
> >| VCLK3 = 165.521763 MHz
> >| tux$
> >
> >Which looks a bit odd. The same for the 512 K SGRAM.
> >
> >So I guess the Malta firmware hasn't initialized the RAGE XL yet. And atyfb
> >requires an initialized chip.
>
> I guess this is not surprising because the Malta firmware isn't a PC BIOS.

If the RAGE XL is the officially supported video board for the Malta, I
wouldn't have been surprised if its firmware would have contained code to
initialize the RAGE XL. But unfortunately this doesn't seem to be the case.

Next question: is there sample code available (e.g. with the `supported' OS for
the Malta) to initialize the RAGE XL?

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                                                Geert

--