Re: mips64 linker bug?

To: Lars Munch Christensen <>
Subject: Re: mips64 linker bug?
From: Ralf Baechle <>
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2001 23:23:01 +0200
On Sun, Jul 22, 2001 at 11:39:23AM +0200, Lars Munch Christensen wrote:

> I'm working on a very small, single address space, microkernel and I have
> the MIPS Malta with a 5Kc CPU to develop it on. The 5Kc is compatible
> with mips32 but I must admit, I really like to have my kernel
> running 64bit :). Is there a working binutils for 64 bit code floating
> around somewhere or should I stick with the mips32 stuff?
> I tried the binutil from but
> they where unable to compile with target mips64-linux.

Afaik the mips64-linux binutils are the only one that more (or more less ;)
work for building a 64-bit kernel.  What we have to do to get around the
bugs and missing features is building a 64-bit kernel but passing -32 to
the assembler so we never use 64-bit ELF.  In the end we convert the
resulting 32-bit ELF executable into 64-ELF using objcopy.  That's about
as much as 64-bit binutils are usable for.  For details see