Re: SHN_MIPS_SCOMMON

To: Ralf Baechle <ralf@oss.sgi.com>
Subject: Re: SHN_MIPS_SCOMMON
From: "H . J . Lu" <hjl@lucon.org>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 12:03:02 -0700
Cc: Greg Satz <satz@ayrnetworks.com>, linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
On Sat, Jul 21, 2001 at 08:56:59PM +0200, Ralf Baechle wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 21, 2001 at 11:13:16AM -0700, H . J . Lu wrote:
>
> > On Sat, Jul 21, 2001 at 12:12:29PM -0600, Greg Satz wrote:
> > > The problem I ran into was making NFS as a kernel module. The resulting
> > > sunrpc.o module crashed when insmod was run over it. Ralf's fix that all
> > > compiles and links use -G 0 worked for me.
> >
> > In that case, it is no linker bug. I believe -G 0 is required for
> > mips kernel modules.
>
> Actually for all code; we don't support GP optimization in any of our code
> models.

Even for the user space code? Do you have a testcase to show what
should be the desired behavior? As I understand, the SHN_MIPS_SCOMMON
section only appears in the relocatable files. You won't see it in
executables nor DSOs. Are there any problems with SHN_MIPS_SCOMMON
in .o files? Can we always pass `-G 0' to the assemebler for Linux.

H.J.