Re: Updates on RedHat 7.1/mips

To: "H . J . Lu" <hjl@lucon.org>
Subject: Re: Updates on RedHat 7.1/mips
From: Seth Mos <knuffie@xs4all.nl>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 23:03:07 +0200
Cc: linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
At 17:36 18-7-2001 -0700, H . J . Lu wrote:
On Wed, Jul 18, 2001 at 10:53:22PM +0200, Seth Mos wrote:

> I am having trouble getting the mipsel packages installed using the
> installer provided for 7.1.
>

> I have hooked up a second disk to my i386 workstatition that will house
> the filesystem for my mipsel box. Once everything is installed I will put
> this disk back in my Qube2 for testing. In the worst case scenario I will
> need to boot with the 2.0 kernel that came with the cube.
>
> I have the original disk for the Qube2 so it isn't a big problem if it
> takes 50 attempts. I have a lot of patience ;-)
>
> Am I correct to assume that I need to use the install.i386.hd on my
> workstation to install the mipsel packages on the second harddrive (hdd in
> my case)

No. It should be install.mipsel.nfs. install.mipsel.hd is for the
native mipsel machine install.

Thank you, it worked :-)

> Traceback (innermost, last):
>   File "./findrpm", line 5, in ?
>     import rpm
> ImportError: No module named rpm
>
> Does this ring any bells?

You need to install the rpm-python rpm.

And again, thank you.

install.mipsel.nfs is used to create a NFS root tree for mipsel. If
you tar it up, you get what you are asking for.

Will do once it works.
Everythinhg seems to be installed like it should and I copied the 2.0.34 cobalt kernel to /boot on the Qube2. I have enabled the serial console of the Qube2 and see the firmware scroll along.

BOOTLOADER ramcode: selected partition /dev/hda1
Decompressing done
Executing bootloader kernel...
Jump_to_Real_Kernel: disk error, trying BFD again.
BOOTLOADER ramcode: selected partition /dev/hdc1

etc.. Qubes don't have the second IDE controller so this is nonsense ;-)
Does anybody know what's missing? Do I need to format the ext2 root fs in a special way? Do I need to pass on other bootoptions and if so. How do I get to a command line prompt of the firmware?
I see that the NetBSD people did that to make it boot another kernel.

I thought that the firmware from the Qubes just boot the vmlinux.gz image that it finds in the /boot directory on hda1?

Any help appreciated.

Cheers

--
Seth