Re: ll/sc emulation patch

To: Ralf Baechle <ralf@oss.sgi.com>
Subject: Re: ll/sc emulation patch
From: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <macro@ds2.pg.gda.pl>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 14:56:12 +0200 (MET DST)
Cc: linux-mips@oss.sgi.com, linux-mips@fnet.fr
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
On Thu, 19 Jul 2001, Ralf Baechle wrote:

> This behaviour of objdump sucks rocks anyway.  There are MIPS I CPUs which
> have ll but no branch likely and many other MIPS ISA perversions.  Objdump
> also will only hexdump anything that hasn't been marked as code with
> .type.  Seems objdump's behaviour was choosen to be the most annoying
> possible.

 Well, actually I disagree.  I like this very much, since looking at the
output it's immediately obvious if some code contains opcodes
unrecognizable by a selected CPU (due to a bad compiler option or an
inline asm error).  And you can always select a desired CPU type with the
"-m mips:<model>" option (e.g. "-m mips:3000").  If there are MIPS I CPUs
which have have ll but no branch likely, etc. then their descriptions
should be appropriately set in objdump.  Otherwise, it's a bug in
binutils.