Re: Oops in serial driver

To: SGI MIPS list <linux-mips@oss.sgi.com>, Debian MIPS list <debian-mips@lists.debian.org>
Subject: Re: Oops in serial driver
From: Jan-Benedict Glaw <jbglaw@lug-owl.de>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 20:56:36 +0200
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
On Tue, Jul 17, 2001 at 08:11:14PM +0200, Florian Lohoff wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 17, 2001 at 06:11:56PM +0200, Jan-Benedict Glaw wrote:
> > Hi!
> > I'm currently testing with current CVS kernels and facing some bad
> > Oopses in DECstation's serial driver:-( Top fafourites are rs_interrupt
> > and zs_channels. Does anybody already have a fix for this? I fear
> > noting down all the Oops from framebuffer, as it is for obvious reason
> > not written to serial console...
>
> Loop up the assembly code in the functions and check which register
> they attempt to use. You wont need to write down all registers.

Ok. Will do that tomorrow (Don't have access to that box right now)

> It would be interesting under which occurencies the oops happens - When
> running on fb why do you use the serials ?

Well... Serial console seems to be *very* handy at all. I'm not
yet that far to use DECstation's own keyboard (which is btw a serial
device-:-) How's that done? "console=tty0 console=ttyS0"?

Another thing is stability. I'm currently using Karsten's glibc2.2
based debian base filesystem which is not that much fun on a R3k
(-> ll/sc and sysmips - any solution at horizon?). Binaries tend to
SIGBUS, Illegal Insn, ... But everything will be good at some
point:-)

Some hints on serial keyboard would be nice! Karsten?

MfG, JBG