Updates on RedHat 7.1/mips

To: Carsten Langgaard <>
Subject: Updates on RedHat 7.1/mips
From: "H . J . Lu" <>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 14:28:02 -0700
Cc: Jun Sun <>,,,
On Mon, Jul 16, 2001 at 01:26:32PM +0200, Carsten Langgaard wrote:
> "H . J . Lu" wrote:
> > > Now I would like to try to install H.J. Lu's RedHat7.1 RPM packages.
> > > If I just do a:
> > >     rpm -Uvh --root /mnt/harddisk *.rpm
> >
> > Those rpms have to be installed in the right order. I have a set up
> > to do that. I will see what I can do.
> Thanks, please do.

They are in install.tar.bz2 now.

> Another thing, I can see your distribution is lacking kernel header
> files, I guess they are needed to do a native compile of the source RPMs.

I added gdb and kernel-headers. I also updated gcc, glibc and binutils.
The toolchain rpms are updated.

My mini-port of RedHat 7.1 is at

you should be able to put a small RedHat 7.1 on the mips/mipsel box and
compile the rest of RedHat 7.1 yourselves.

Here are something you should know:

1. The cross compiler hosted on RedHat 7.1/ia32 is provided as a
toolchain rpm. The binary rpms for the mips and mipsel cross compilers
are included. You will need glibc 2.2.3-11 or above to use those
rpms. The glibc x86 binary rpms under RPMS/i386 should be ok.
2. You have to find a way to put those rpms on your machine. I use
network boot and NFS root to do it.
3. install.tar.bz2 has some scripts to prepare NFS root and install
RedHat 7.1 on a hard drive.