Re: Illegal Instruction with 2.4.2 and 2.4.3

To: "John D. Davis" <johnd@stanford.edu>
Subject: Re: Illegal Instruction with 2.4.2 and 2.4.3
From: Klaus Naumann <spock@mgnet.de>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 22:19:54 +0200 (CEST)
Cc: debian-mips@lists.debian.org, linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
On Wed, 11 Jul 2001, John D. Davis wrote:

> I have been able to natively build kernels 2.4.0,2,3,4,5 on an Indy with
> without the CD-ROM support. I have only been able to boot 2.4.2 and 2.4.3.
> Previously, I was running 2.4.0-test9. 2.4.4 and 5 have ext2_fs inode
> problems. 2.4.0 hangs at cleaning the /tmp directory.
>
> Extracting tar files causes an illegal instruction on 2.4.2 and 3.  Is
> there a patch for this.  Furthermore, are there patches available for all
> the various kernel versions and how do I get them for each version of the
> kernel.  Finally, I have read some email on stress tests.  Are those
> publicly available?

Hi,

the illigal instruction problem is known and a workaround has been
implemented by several ppl. Personally I'm using the patch which
lolo made (I have attached it to this mail). It should apply
cleanly against any 2.4.x kernel.
About the stress tests I don't know ...

        CU, Klaus

--
Full Name   : Klaus Naumann     | (http://www.mgnet.de/) (Germany)
Nickname    : Spock             | Org.: Mad Guys Network