Re: boots then kernel panic

To: Peter Milleson <peter@milleson.com>
Subject: Re: boots then kernel panic
From: Klaus Naumann <spock@mgnet.de>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 22:14:18 +0200 (CEST)
Cc: linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
On Wed, 11 Jul 2001, Peter Milleson wrote:

> Hi all!
>
> Finally have my bootp and tftp server working in order for my used Indy 175
> to boot off the network. The system finally downloaded the kernel image (the
> kernel from hardhat-sgi-5.1) and the system kernel panics with the following
> error:
>
> SCSI bus is being reset for host 0 channel 0.
> scsi0: reset. page fault from irq handler: 0000
> $0 : {lots of numbers}
> $4 : "        "
> $8 : "        "
> $12: "        "
> $16: "        "
> $29: "        "
> $24: "        "
> $28: "        "
> epc   : 880fa97c
> Cause : 000000008
> Aiee, killing interrupt handler
> Kernel panic: Attempted to kill the idle task!
> In swapper task - not syncing
>
> Could there be a problem with the onboard SCSI controller? I don't know of
> any way to test the SCSI subsystem without a bootable SGI cdrom. I am going
> to try and download a different (newer?) kernel and try again and see what
> happens.

This is very likely a problem with the SCSI Code or your hardware.
But I would assume that the kernel is just plain too old.
Please try a newer kernel (you can find one on ftp://source.rfc822.org/).

                HTH, Klaus

--
Full Name   : Klaus Naumann     | (http://www.mgnet.de/) (Germany)
Nickname    : Spock             | Org.: Mad Guys Network