Re: MIPS Cross Compiler Tools

To: Steve Langasek <>
Subject: Re: MIPS Cross Compiler Tools
From: Marc Karasek <>
Date: 10 Jul 2001 13:11:53 -0400
Cc: "''" <>
I really need the libs to cross-compile some other apps.  The target is
an embedded system, so I need to crosscompile things like busybox,
tinylogin, etc.  (It will NOT have a harddrive) I have done this before
with ARM and it is pretty easy once you get the tools in place.
Sometimes that is the hardest part...

On 10 Jul 2001 11:35:20 -0500, Steve Langasek wrote:
> Hi Marc,
> On Tue, 10 Jul 2001, Marc Karasek wrote:
> > I had a question about the cross compiler tools for MIPS, specifically
> > glibc.  I d/l the rpms from,  but they are only binutils, and
> > the compiler (C, C++).
> > Are most people building glibc against these or are you building the tools
> > completely from scratch?  As glibc is needed to compile anything else other
> > than the kernel.
> You don't need a special 'cross-compiler' glibc in order to set up a
> cross-build environment for MIPS; simply grab a glibc package that's
> precompiled for MIPS and install it into your cross-build root directory.
> I don't know who (if anyone) would have rpms or a recent mips glibc; I use
> Debian, where I have the packages available as part of the distro.
> Regards,
> Steve Langasek
> postmodern programmer
Marc Karasek