Re: MIPS Cross Compiler Tools

To: Marc Karasek <>
Subject: Re: MIPS Cross Compiler Tools
From: "H . J . Lu" <>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 09:46:27 -0700
Cc: "''" <>
On Tue, Jul 10, 2001 at 12:27:43PM -0400, Marc Karasek wrote:
> I had a question about the cross compiler tools for MIPS, specifically
> glibc.  I d/l the rpms from,  but they are only binutils, and
> the compiler (C, C++).
> Are most people building glibc against these or are you building the tools
> completely from scratch?  As glibc is needed to compile anything else other
> than the kernel.

My RedHat 7.1 release on has the complete cross toolchain:

My mini-port of RedHat 7.1 is at

you should be able to put a small RedHat 7.1 on the mips/mipsel box and
compile the rest of RedHat 7.1 yourselves.

Here are something you should know:

1. The cross compiler hosted on RedHat 7.1/ia32 is provided as a
toolchain rpm. The binary rpms for the mips and mipsel cross compilers
are included.
2. You have to find a way to put those rpms on your machine. I use
network boot and NFS root to do it.