Re: MIPS Cross Compiler Tools

To: "'linux-mips@oss.sgi.com'" <linux-mips@oss.sgi.com>
Subject: Re: MIPS Cross Compiler Tools
From: Steve Langasek <vorlon@netexpress.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 11:35:20 -0500 (CDT)
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Hi Marc,

On Tue, 10 Jul 2001, Marc Karasek wrote:

> I had a question about the cross compiler tools for MIPS, specifically
> glibc.  I d/l the rpms from oss.sgi.com,  but they are only binutils, and
> the compiler (C, C++).

> Are most people building glibc against these or are you building the tools
> completely from scratch?  As glibc is needed to compile anything else other
> than the kernel.

You don't need a special 'cross-compiler' glibc in order to set up a
cross-build environment for MIPS; simply grab a glibc package that's
precompiled for MIPS and install it into your cross-build root directory.

I don't know who (if anyone) would have rpms for a recent mips glibc; I use
Debian, where I have the packages available as part of the distro.

Regards,
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer