Re: CONFIG_MIPS_UNCACHED

To: "Kevin D. Kissell" <kevink@mips.com>
Subject: Re: CONFIG_MIPS_UNCACHED
From: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <macro@ds2.pg.gda.pl>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 15:11:41 +0200 (MET DST)
Cc: carlson@sibyte.com, linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
On Tue, 26 Jun 2001, Kevin D. Kissell wrote:

> code into every MIPS/Linux kernel!  I wouldn't dream of preventing
> some one else from putting their full faith in the perfectly understood
> and well-documented bootloaders on their Indy or DECstation. ;-)

 With functions like malloc(), strlen(), strcpy(), printf(), getenv(),
etc. I wouldn't name the DECstation's firmware (the REX one) just a
bootloader.  It's more like a minimal libc with additional functionality
to interface to hw, it's very well documented indeed (as opposed to most
of DECstations' hw, sigh...) and it appears to present a kernel an
interface that conforms to published docs.

 Of course, I don't expect anyone to put a libc into their embedded
system's ROM.