Re: about linux mips ext2fs

To: Florian Lohoff <flo@rfc822.org>
Subject: Re: about linux mips ext2fs
From: Keith M Wesolowski <wesolows@foobazco.org>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 12:04:57 -0700
Cc: Barry Wu <wqb123@yahoo.com>, linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
On Mon, Jun 25, 2001 at 08:20:30PM +0200, Florian Lohoff wrote:

> Linux/mips uses ext2 - Ext2 is per definition little endian and all
> big endian targets use byteswap mechanisms (All but very old Linux/m68k
> systems). So - yes - you can read i386 written ext2 on mips machines.
>
> With the partition type - I guess all architectures are able to read
> dos partition tables allthough they might not be the default (On SGI
> we mostly use IRIX style partition tables)

All true, though the more standard way to get software onto your
system is using network booting and nfsroot.  Then you can create
partition tables and filesystems locally, then copy or install
appropriate software from the nfsroot onto local disk.

--
Keith M Wesolowski <wesolows@foobazco.org> http://foobazco.org/~wesolows
------(( Project Foobazco Coordinator and Network Administrator ))------