Re: about linux mips ext2fs

To: Barry Wu <wqb123@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: about linux mips ext2fs
From: Florian Lohoff <flo@rfc822.org>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 20:20:30 +0200
Cc: linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
On Mon, Jun 25, 2001 at 08:51:38AM -0700, Barry Wu wrote:
> Hi, all,
>
> I am new to this maillist. I want to mount root
> file system under mipsel linux. I got root file
> system from MIPS company. But I have no ready mips
> linux system. Therefore I have to copy this root
> file system to hard disk under intel linux. Using
> its fdisk and ext2fs. I do not know if it can work
> under mipsel linux. That mean mipsel linux can
> support same ext2fs and partition? If someone knows,
> please help me.

Linux/mips uses ext2 - Ext2 is per definition little endian and all
big endian targets use byteswap mechanisms (All but very old Linux/m68k
systems). So - yes - you can read i386 written ext2 on mips machines.

With the partition type - I guess all architectures are able to read
dos partition tables allthough they might not be the default (On SGI
we mostly use IRIX style partition tables)

Flo