Re: Bug in memmove

To: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <macro@ds2.pg.gda.pl>
Subject: Re: Bug in memmove
From: "Gleb O. Raiko" <raiko@niisi.msk.ru>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 16:03:31 +0400
Cc: Ralf Baechle <ralf@uni-koblenz.de>, linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Maciej,

"Maciej W. Rozycki" wrote:

>  Ralf, I think it should get applied unless someone cooks up a better
> solution, i.e. optimizes it.  I'll optimize it myself, eventually, if no
> one else does, but don't hold your breath.

Great! Optimized memmove is in todos of several MIPS developers.
Considering your patch and my investigation though, it's not
showstopper. In fact, there are a few places that call memmove, all of
them aren't on "common path". However, I would consider that common path
certainly depends on the way Linux is used. I may imagine the
configuration where the bug may trigger.

Perhaps, eliminating that known "horror fix" (you know) is more
important.

Regards,
Gleb.