Creating a mips tool chain for mips3

Subject: Creating a mips tool chain for mips3
From: Shay Deloya <>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 19:14:22 +0300

At the moment I use tool chain of  egcs-2.90.29 glibc-2.0.6.
I see that the default crtbegin (egcs)  is compiled for mips1 and when I use
mips-linux-gcc -mips3 hello.c , I get the following error:
ISA mismatch (-mips3) with previous modules (-mips1)
Bad value: failed to merge target specific data of file /tmp/ccVx4c701.o

When I check I see that crtbegin & crtend are of mips1 type.

How can I configure the gcc and glibc to be compiled as mips3 and not mips1
by default ?