Re: Profiling support in glibc?

To: Brian Murphy <brian@murphy.dk>
Subject: Re: Profiling support in glibc?
From: Ralf Baechle <ralf@oss.sgi.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 22:25:54 +0200
Cc: "linux-mips@oss.sgi.com" <linux-mips@oss.sgi.com>
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
On Mon, Jun 18, 2001 at 09:07:15PM +0200, Brian Murphy wrote:

> What is the status of profiling in glibc? Our (egcs-1.1.2 based)
> compiler fails with a missing symbol
> _start (glibc 2.0.6) but even if one fixes this up there are more
> fundamental problems.
>
> Is there a later glibc for which profiling works?

I've never tried profiling but remember from looking at the source of
glibc 2.0.6 that there were rather obvious bugs.  Also you shouldn't
assume that anybody of the core developers has interest in wasting any
work into 2.0.6 since 2.2 is so much better so you may want to upgrade
anyway.

The other issue is of course gprof ...