Re: Kernel crash on boot with current cvs (todays)

To: Ralf Baechle <ralf@oss.sgi.com>
Subject: Re: Kernel crash on boot with current cvs (todays)
From: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <macro@ds2.pg.gda.pl>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 15:44:28 +0200 (MET DST)
Cc: Keith Owens <kaos@melbourne.sgi.com>, Florian Lohoff <flo@rfc822.org>, Raoul Borenius <borenius@shuttle.de>, linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
On Wed, 13 Jun 2001, Ralf Baechle wrote:

> That can be done automatically.  For 32-bit ELF files mips*-linux binutils
> dump some of the addresses as 32-bit addresses, some as sign-extended (!)
> 64-bit addresses.  So ksymops should just sign extend any 32-bit addresses
> to 64-bit and then work on full lenght addresses.
>
> Is ksymoops able to handle 64-bit addresses when running on a 32-bit host?
> That is a common case for many people when decoding their MIPS oopses.

 The point is whether addresses should be extended at all if a 32-bit
target is selected.  IMHO -- not, that's a limitation of BFD when
configured for both a 32-bit and a 64-bit target and it should be fixed
sooner or later (at least it's on my to-do list for some time).  BFD is
free to handle addresses as it likes internally, be it 64-bit or 32-bit,
but they should be truncated on final output to a 32-bit target, as they
already are for certain cases.

 I'm not sure we need to work it around in ksymoops until BFD is fixed --
`cut -c8- < System.map' works as a charm.  It might be worth documenting,
though.