Re: Kernel crash on boot with current cvs (todays)

To: Keith Owens <kaos@melbourne.sgi.com>
Subject: Re: Kernel crash on boot with current cvs (todays)
From: Ralf Baechle <ralf@oss.sgi.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 14:05:51 +0200
Cc: Florian Lohoff <flo@rfc822.org>, Raoul Borenius <borenius@shuttle.de>, linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
On Wed, Jun 13, 2001 at 09:34:18PM +1000, Keith Owens wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Jun 2001 12:56:10 +0200,
> Florian Lohoff <flo@rfc822.org> wrote:
> >> Using ksymoops gave a lot of warnings this time. Don't know why, the
> >> System.map should be the right one (it's out of
> >> kernel-image-2.4.3-ip22-r4k.tgz).
> >
> >This is because the system map has been generated with newer binutils
> >which always dump the addresses as 64Bit addresses.
>
> Looks like I need to add a new option to ksymoops.  -T <bits>, truncate
> all addresses to this bit size.  Added to my list for the next ksymoops
> release.

That can be done automatically.  For 32-bit ELF files mips*-linux binutils
dump some of the addresses as 32-bit addresses, some as sign-extended (!)
64-bit addresses.  So ksymops should just sign extend any 32-bit addresses
to 64-bit and then work on full lenght addresses.

Is ksymoops able to handle 64-bit addresses when running on a 32-bit host?
That is a common case for many people when decoding their MIPS oopses.