Re: A new mips toolchain is available

To: "H . J . Lu" <hjl@lucon.org>
Subject: Re: A new mips toolchain is available
From: Ralf Baechle <ralf@oss.sgi.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 21:11:51 +0200
Cc: linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
On Tue, Jun 12, 2001 at 09:40:55AM -0700, H . J . Lu wrote:

> FYI, my glibc includes
>
>         * sysdeps/mips/dl-machine.h (MAP_BASE_ADDR): Commented out.

That means elf/dl-load.c will assume zero for the load address.  That will
crash static programs which expect a value of 0x5ffe0000 and are trying to
dlopen a shared library which uses a different value.  Most popular
example is rpm.  So we need to keep ``#define MAP_BASE_ADDR(l) 0x5ffe0000''
in there until we've got a real fix, unfortunately.

ABI requires us to properly support DT_MIPS_BASE_ADDRESS, so that needs
to fixed for real anyway ...

>         * sysdeps/mips/rtld-ldscript.in: Removed.
>         * sysdeps/mips/rtld-parms: Likewise.
>         * sysdeps/mips/mips64/rtld-parms: Likewise.
>         * sysdeps/mips/mipsel/rtld-parms: Likewise.
>
> As I mentioned before, the resulting glibc works fine with the IRIX ABI
> executables. But I have no ideas about DSOs.

This rtld stuff was an IRIX-ism which made it into Linux without the necessary
reflection; nothing bad should happen if we remove it.