Re: stabs or ecoff for Linux/mips

To: Stan Shebs <>
Subject: Re: stabs or ecoff for Linux/mips
From: Daniel Berlin <>
Date: 07 Jun 2001 15:05:14 -0400
Cc: "H . J . Lu" <>, GDB <>,,
Stan Shebs <> writes:

> "H . J . Lu" wrote:
>> What is the better debug format for Linux/mips in the terms of gdb
>> and binutils, stabs or ecoff? I know the future is dwarf2. But I need
>> something stable now. Since Linux/x86 uses stabs, I lean toward to
>> stabs. Any comments?
> Go with stabs and ELF.  Neither ecoff's base file format nor the debug
> info were particularly well-documented (I remember some of the bits in
> GNU being figured out by reverse engineering!), perpetuating it will
> just make your life more difficult in the long run.  It will also be
> easier to move to dwarf2 when the opportunity arises.

mdebugread is also an evil piece of code.
It duplicates almost all of buildsym.  I've had to perform *major*
surgery (and am still not done yet) to do the block hash table thing.

> Stan

"I looked out my apartment window, and I saw a bird wearing
sneakers and a button saying, "I ain't flying no where."  I
said, "What's your problem buddy?"  He said, "I'm sick of this
stuff -- winter here, summer there, winter here, summer there.
I don't know who thought this stuff up, but it certainly wasn't
a bird."  I said, "Well, I was just making breakfast, come on
in.  Want some eggs?  Sorry."
"-Steven Wright