Re: stabs or ecoff for Linux/mips

To: Stan Shebs <shebs@apple.com>
Subject: Re: stabs or ecoff for Linux/mips
From: Daniel Berlin <dan@cgsoftware.com>
Date: 07 Jun 2001 15:05:14 -0400
Cc: "H . J . Lu" <hjl@lucon.org>, GDB <gdb@sourceware.cygnus.com>, binutils@lucon.org, linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Stan Shebs <shebs@apple.com> writes:

> "H . J . Lu" wrote:
>>
>> What is the better debug format for Linux/mips in the terms of gdb
>> and binutils, stabs or ecoff? I know the future is dwarf2. But I need
>> something stable now. Since Linux/x86 uses stabs, I lean toward to
>> stabs. Any comments?
>
> Go with stabs and ELF.  Neither ecoff's base file format nor the debug
> info were particularly well-documented (I remember some of the bits in
> GNU being figured out by reverse engineering!), perpetuating it will
> just make your life more difficult in the long run.  It will also be
> easier to move to dwarf2 when the opportunity arises.

mdebugread is also an evil piece of code.
It duplicates almost all of buildsym.  I've had to perform *major*
surgery (and am still not done yet) to do the block hash table thing.

--
"I looked out my apartment window, and I saw a bird wearing
sneakers and a button saying, "I ain't flying no where."  I