Re: Newbie Question, Please help

To: Robert Rusek <robru@teknuts.com>
Subject: Re: Newbie Question, Please help
From: Chris Ruvolo <chris@ruvolo.org>
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2001 14:46:48 -0400
Cc: linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
On Tue, Jun 05, 2001 at 03:08:42PM -0700, Robert Rusek wrote:
> It gets the address then claims it is sending the vmlinux file via tftp.
> On the SGI it just times out.
>
> Any advice, pointers, etc would be greatly appreciated.

From the HOWTO (http://www.oss.sgi.com/mips/mips-howto.html):

7.6 My machine doesn't download the kernel when I try to netboot

Your machine is replying to the BOOTP packets (you may verify this using a
packet sniffer like tcpdump or ethereal), but doesn't download the kernel
from your BOOTP server. This happens if your boot server is running a kernel
of the 2.3 series or higher. The problem may be circumvented by doing a
"echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_no_pmtu_disc" as root on your boot server.

Good luck.
-Chris